10 Ways to Get Ready for Whole30
By now, you've probably picked up on the fact that we're no strangers to 30 days of just about anything that will better our lives. That's why we're dedicating the month of February to showing our health some major love by taking on the oh-so famous Whole30 challenge by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. And we want you to join us along for the ride!
So what's the Whole30 all about?
In a nutshell, it's 30 days of eating non-processed whole foods like fruits, veggies and meat, along with ditching grains, dairy, sugar, and alcohol that often disrupts the gut, and causes inflammation.
The good news? The program is said to help improve your energy levels, digestive issues, skin, sleep, and even weight loss. Best of all, there's no portion control and you'll be able to slowly reintroduce foods (and wine Wednesdays) that were off limits after 30 days. Plus, we're sharing a few tips and tricks to getting ourselves in the Whole30 mindset aka what might be the most challenging challenge yet.
10 Ways You Can Get Whole30 Ready With Us
1. Get acquainted with the program – skim The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom or join our Whole30 support Facebook group.
2. Play around in the kitchen ahead of time – there’s no better time to play around in the kitchen than a few weeks or days prior to starting the Whole30 challenge. Not sure what recipes fit the profile, check out a few go-tos we’re playing with on our Pinterest page.
3. Keep temptation at bay – start removing temptation prior to actually starting the Whole30 challenge by eliminating (or cutting back on) the yummy foods and beverages you won't be eating or drinking for the next 30 days.
4. Find a buddy – one of the things that have helped us stay on track for many of our challenges is one other. So find a friend or coworker to take on the Whole30 with you or join our Facebook group for a little extra morale support.
5. Have a reliable backup plan – take a long hard look at your calendar and cravings and put a plan together for all of those upcoming birthdays, happy hours, long stressful weeks, etc. What will you be drinking when everyone’s having 2 for 1’s or what will be your plan of action when you can’t get chocolate or pizza out of your mind.
6. Glue yourself to your grocery list – whether you save your grocery list on your phone or keep it in your wallet, set yourself up to succeed by keeping your grocery list on you at all times. And if all else fails, just memorize a few basics you can always count on like: eggs, coconut oil, chicken, and a good variety of fruits and veggies.
7. Stock up on storage containers – tupperware will be your bestie for the next 30 days, so make sure you have plenty of food storage containers handy for all the meal prep you’ll be doing.
8. Prep like a boss – pick a prep day, write out what you'll be eating for each meal during the week using our FREE DOWNLOAD and then take a few hours to get ready for the upcoming week (Sunday Funday anyone?) If you feel you’re spending the whole day prepping, try simplifying your recipes.
9. Change your attitude – instead of dreading the next 30 days and counting down ‘til you can have Chinese takeout again, find gratitude in every bite of goodness you’re about to be fueling your body with.
10. Remember why you started – the “why” is what drives change and makes the entire struggle worth it. So keep your “why” where you can see it daily like your bathroom mirror or work desk.
If you’re still not sure you’re ready to take on the Whole30, try thinking if of it as the Whole1, Whole2, Whole3, etc. and just take it day by day. And remember, we’ll be there every step of the way.